The Website provides information about the legal services we offer or other general information and resources that may be of interest to you. The content of this Website does not convey legal, accounting, tax, career, or other professional advice of any kind. Your use of this Website does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and KO, nor will any information you submit to us via this Website or by electronic mail be considered a lawyer-client communication or otherwise be treated as confidential or privileged in the absence of a pre-existing express agreement with us to the contrary.
Collection. We collect your personal information when you provide it to us. “Personal information” is any information that relates to you or can be used to identify you. We may also automatically collect certain personal information when you use, access, or interact with our Website as described below.
Information that you provide to us
KO collects personal information when you voluntarily submit it to us. For example, KO collects personal information when you communicate with us via email, when you fill out a form on the Website or subscribe to our news updates, legal alerts, or other materials, when you sign up for a webinar or event, when you submit an application for employment with us, or when you respond to our communications or requests for information. You may also choose to provide personal information by contacting an individual KO lawyer via an email address provided in a hyperlink. Personal information may include, but is not limited to, your name, e-mail address, physical address, phone number, and information about the organization with which you are affiliated.
Information we may collect automatically or from other sources
KO may collect other information about you using the following technologies:
- Cookies. “Cookies” are small bits of information that the Website places on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies remember information about your activities on the site to make your visits to the Website more enjoyable and valuable to you by providing a customized experience and recognizing your preferences when you visit the Website. If you’ve chosen to disable cookies on your browser, some of the functionality of the Website may be lost. Certain web pages or services provided by KO, require that cookies be enabled in your browser and cannot be used when you have disabled cookies in your browser.
- Flash Cookies. Flash cookies are data files similar to cookies, except that they can store more complex data. Flash cookies are used to remember settings, preferences, and usage, particularly for video, interactive gaming, and other similar services.
- Web beacons or clear pixels. Web beacons are small graphic images on a web page or in an email that can be used for such things as recording the pages and advertisements that you select or tracking the performance of email marketing campaigns.
- Web server logs. Web server logs are records of activity created by the computer that delivers the webpages you request to your browser. For example, a web server log may record the search term you entered or the link you clicked to bring you the webpage. The web server log also may record information about your browser, such as your IP address and the cookies set on your browser by the server.
In addition to the personal information that we collect directly, we may also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties, business partners, or publicly available sources.
Use. KO’s primary purpose in collecting information is to provide you with legal services and materials that match your interests. KO may also use information to:
- conduct research and analysis;
- improve the Website or KO services and materials;
- respond to inquires you have made;
- send you news updates, legal alerts, or other materials;
- maintain a list of contacts;
- perform client due diligence, pre-hire checks, and supplier vetting;
- operate KO’s business, including data analysis, submitting invoices, detecting fraud, or preventing illegal activities and intellectual property infringement;
- assess the effectiveness of our events, promotional campaigns, and legal publications;
- evaluate, recruit, and hire personnel; and
- comply with our legal obligations, respond to legal process or requests for information issued by government authorities or other third parties, or protect your or others’ rights
- Internally. Our offices share information with each other for business purposes such as internal administration, billing, promoting our events and services, and providing you or your organization with services.
- Consent. With your consent, including if we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
- Instruction. When you ask us to share your information with agents, consultants, other advisers, outside law firms, counterparties, beneficiaries, trustees, banks, and related persons who operate or are based around the world.
- Service Providers. We use various third parties to operate the Website, including, for example, providers of professional, consulting, marketing, web-hosting, mailing, CRM, analytics, event hosting, information technology, and business development services. We may disclose personal information to such entities as needed for them to perform their specific tasks under our instructions.
- Law Enforcement and Protection. Where disclosure is required by applicable rules and law, or by any court, tribunal, law enforcement, regulatory, public or quasi-governmental authority or department around the world. If we believe actions on the Website are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of us or any third party.
- Transaction. To advisors, potential transactional partners, or other third parties in connection with the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a transaction in which we are acquired by or merged with another company or we sell, liquidate, or transfer all or a portion of our assets.
We may share de-identified or aggregate information that does not reasonably identify you or your organization as permitted by applicable law.
Security. KO uses reasonable safeguards designed to comply with applicable legal requirements and safeguard the personal information that we collect. This includes, when required or appropriate and feasible, obtaining written assurances from third parties that may access your data that they will protect the data with safeguards designed to provide a level of protection equivalent to that adopted by KO.
However, no information system can be 100% secure. We cannot guarantee the absolute security of personal information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to us over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
We retain personal information we collect no longer than as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collect the personal information and to comply with our legal obligations.
Access and Choice. KO has implemented the following procedures that you may use to correct or choose how your personal information is used:
- In accordance with applicable law, you may have certain rights regarding information that we have collected and that is related to you. We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your information if it changes or if you believe that any information that we have collected about you is inaccurate. All requests to correct your information must be directed to the contact in the “Communications” section below.
- You can opt-out of receiving promotional emails by submitting a request at the contact in the “Communications” section below or following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. Clicking on an unsubscribe link will take you to a webpage where you can complete the opt-out process. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we may still send you transactional communications, such as those required to fulfill requests you have made, to ask you to evaluate a service you have received or event you attended, or other service-related communications.
- Some web browsers and devices permit you to broadcast a preference that you not be “tracked” online. At this time KO does not modify your experience based upon whether such a signal is broadcast.
Communication. If you have questions or concerns regarding KO’s collection and use of your personal information or any other privacy or security issue, please contact:
Attention: KO Privacy Officer
2060 Broadway, Suite 200
Boulder, CO 80302
Phone (303) 672-0100
If KO needs, or is required, to contact you concerning any event that involves information about you we may do so by email, telephone, or mail.
Effective as of: March 4, 2019